Sunday, January 15, 2012

Book Review


         I use to think that salad was a road block on the way to the entree. After all anything that healthy can't possibly taste that good...can it? Since picking up Raising The Salad Bar by Catherine Walters I now think of salad as a welcomed addition to the meal. RSB takes you on a journey through the world of salads opening your eyes and mind to what a salad could be. Your journey begins with an intro into salad basics before moving on to chicken, steak and seafood salads. As you continue your mind is further immersed as potato, pasta and bean salads are highlighted. Grain, cole-slaws and garden salads round out your education. Through out the book you'll find useful tips, techniques and recipes for delicious home made salad dressings. Once you make your own dressings you'll never go back to store brought. While the book is not entirely gluten free and few simple swap outs can convert most recipes into safe fare. I've had RSB for close to two years I can honestly say it was money well spent.  The best part of the book isn't the great recipes, the exposure to new ingredients or the new found love I have for making my own dressings but the way it changed my view on salad. When a book can open your mind that makes it pretty special.


No comments:

Post a Comment